Monuments and museums
Plaza Mayor de Salamanca
Undoubtedly one of the most beautiful squares in Spain and in the world and one of the best examples of Baroque architecture in the Peninsula. Awarded the status of
National Monument in 1935, in the technical and artistic accreditation it states that it is "the most decorated, proportionate and harmonious of all the squares of its
period in Spain". It has 88 arches and a number of carves medallion reliefs.
Currently, as in the past, the square is still the venue for the city’s major religious, civil and lay celebrations: bull-fighting, processions and in the past, even executions.
Plaza Mayor de Salamanca
Old Cathedral and New Cathedral
The silhouette of the Cathedrals towers over the Salamanca skyline and its inside reflects the life and history of the city and the city’s residents. Together, standing side by side,
they go to form a wonderful historical and artistic complex: Old Cathedral and New Cathedral.
The new one, a fusion of Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque architecture. The Old one is Romanesque.
Don’t forget to climb the cathedral’s medieval towers via the Ieronimus exhibition: one can walk around the exterior terraces, the lookout points and balustrades that look over
the interior of the church, amidst gargoyles, pinnacles and cathedral bells.
This visit gives you spectacular views over the Old Cathedral and its wonderful altarpiece; from the New Cathedral from its interior walkways; purveying the whole city,
the cathedral complex, along the banks of the Tormes from the terraces and watchtower.
Exceptional views, an incredible discovery and another wonderful gift from the Cathedral to the city.
University of Salamanca
Façade of the University
It is currently the oldest university in Spain. it is traditional for tourists to try to find the frog on its façade. During its period of greatest splendour, the 15th and
16th centuries, it was the head of the European Universities. One of the main features is the Fray Luis de León lecture hall, the reliefs along the stairwell of the cloister,
and the Library, founded in 1254 by Alfonso X of Castile "the Wise", with a collection that contains a large number of priceless manuscripts and pre-1500 publications. Amongst these priceless
treasures is a copy of the Tohá and the so-called "libros redondos" that Torres Villaroel bought in Paris and which are in fact globes, but he gave them this name so that the
librarian at that time would agree to pay for them.
Library of the University
The Pontificial University and the Clerecía towers:
The Royal College of the Jesuit Order was built in part by Gómez de Mora in 1611. The missionaries that were trained went on to spread the Catholic Faith around the world.
Nevertheless, the herculean construction task lasted another 150 years before it was completed at which time, in 1767, the Jesuit Order was expelled from Spain by Carlos III.
The building was subsequently split into four, was abandoned and then suffered the scorn of war,